Sunday 7 July 2013

Messages in flames

It would appear summer is here. After all the sun is shining and the temperature doesn't have a '-' symbol beside it. Last summer had only a few days like we've had this week and the Met Office promises us more of the same in the days ahead.  We live in hope.

With the sun comes BBQ season. With BBQs comes the lighting of fire-something I am quite drawn by. What is the reason for my fascination? I have no idea. But deep discussion occurred the other night when sharing a BBQ and fire with a group of Christian friends. None of those present (my wife excepted) knew about my exploration of call I hope to embark on by September. However the discussion, 'sparked' by a fallen ember from the fire, made me reflect...

"Ah, the flames have stopped now it's out the fire," someone observed.

"Just like a Christian who falls from regular church attendance," said another.

We discussed that to maintain your Christian way of life you must keep up your church attendance. A further test was carried out; a baton of wood was placed over the chimney of the chimnea. Needless to say it caught fire despite not being licked by flames. So the strength of those who worship together cause others to ignite their own faith. 

Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus tells that it's not enough to go to church, pray, read the Bible or do a good deed everyday. There is a much bigger change required. Church is (or at least it should be) responding to the changing needs of those who are served by it. Where is 'church'? Church, like fire, can have many different guises and be located almost anywhere. There be huge ones.  There can be small ones in obscure places. For as long as the energy generated is maintained survival will triumph. 

Our discussion round the fire helped me consider more of my own calling. The possibilities and uncertainty of where God wants me and what He wants me to do are mind blowing. What kind of role does He want ME to play? I thought I was being used in my current situations I believed He put me in...obviously not

"Trust in Lord with all your heart, don't lean on your own understanding in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. He knows the plans that He has for you; plans to prosper and not to harm you plans to give you a future and hope, says The Lord.'

Reassuring words I heard just before clicking 'send' on the email application to begin the 'enquiry and assessment' process...


3 comments:

  1. Oh there's so many images that you can take from fire. The flames are pretty, quick, and soon burn down, but you cook your burgers on the coals - smouldering embers that keep the heat for longer.

    and I would counter your friends church comment by the fact that I have met church goers who aren't Christians, and very strong Christians that would never set foot in a church. But you know me, always one to be awkward!

    Did you have marshmallows? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Church - community, congregation, meeting place, Christian social club - take your pick. Probably all three at once, depending on the context.

    I suspect the ember would have relit when in the chimnea, without the fire present, due to the shelter from the wind and a draw of oxygen. I would say it's the breath of God , through his holy spirit, who fans the flames of faith. How those get to people differs depending on their circumstances, background and needs. If God did a 'one size fits all' thing, we'd not need so many ways of doing church.

    Like Spot, I like to be awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the thought provoking awkwardness provided by the previous two comments!

    So many images, so many possibilities and many more interpretations-exactly why we need so many different forms of worships and 'flavours' of church.

    ReplyDelete